Pages

11.14.2011

Ocean Vuong's Saigon America


Check out poet Ocean Vuong's photo essay series on Vietnamese American life! And where do you start when you talk about the Vietnamese American experience? In the nail salon of course! From Ocean:

For the past two years I have been taking photos of various scenes in Vietnamese American life and I thought I'd share them with you on my blog. This specific series is titled " Happy Nails", a selection of shots taken at a nail salon. As you might already know, the nail salon is the unofficial hub of all Vietnamese culture in America. I remember when I was younger, my family would go on road trips, and being illiterate and not able to speak English, we always looked for nail salons whenever we were lost. The little shops, often garishly decorated with charmingly simply names like "Top Nails", "Paris Nails" and "#1 Beauty Nails", are the life line of Vietnamese life in America, often in more ways than one.
If you feel compelled to, please feel free to share this essay with others, on your blogs, tumblrs, facebook, etc... It would mean a lot to me and I appreciate it very much.
I will add to this series as more photos accumulate.
love and light,
-Ocean


Check it out on his website!

No comments:

Post a Comment