Pages

5.05.2010

Tumblr Project: Dave Eggers Doesn't Love Me Anymore

A side project I'm working on--a blog of rejection slips (give it a few days, I'm still trying to figure out how Tumblr works. Also: I started this at 2:00 in the morning, I might I have been giddy and high or just plain giddy).

With writing comes rejection slips. Form rejection, postcards, personalized email. A writer's life is a failing life. Joyce Carol Oates says this: "Success is distant and illusory, failure on'es loyal companion, one stimulus for imaging the next book will be better, for, otherwise, why writer?" It's from her essay "Notes On Failure," an essay about the writer's affinity to failing--because we're all failures. It's an interesting (and Pushcart Prize-Winning) essay.

The Tumblr project started because I wanted to see if other writers were getting the same rejections as me, because who knows if it's a form reject or something personal. For example, American Short Fiction has told me , "We were quite impressed by your writing." But do they send this to everyone.

Besides, it's a coping skill. I'm known to cry over rejection slips (not really, but it makes awesome imagery), and I thought it would be a fun project for other writers to join in (i.e. send in your rejection letters!!!; see the about page on the Tumblr site).

There was only one other site/blog that does this, and I thought I might as well try it. Besides, McSweeney's has yet to reply to me and I'm thinking that my work was lost somewhere. Or--Dave Eggers really hates me. Both are possible theories.

No comments:

Post a Comment